Ok, allow me to start with the disclaimer…”See a doctor for goodness sake! Get the OK to start a fat loss program!”
Ok, now that I got that out of the way…Let’s get down to business.
Tony Robbins tells a story of a client that he was working with who was 150 pounds overweight. He recalls that the client was talking about getting started with a program, they said “I’ll get started just as soon as I find a personal trainer, read a diet book, get a gym membership, etc.” Tony’s response was, “You don’t need a health guru or a gym membership to get started…you need a big guy standing behind you yelling “RUUUUUUNNNNNN!”
Stop it! You have EVERYTHING that you need to get started right now. In order to qualify as obese, you have a body that is so out of balance that ANYTHING you do to move towards health will likely get the fat burning. The key is to know a few simple points that you can put into action right away:
- Change your attitude from one focused on weight loss to one focused on becoming HEALTHY. It doesn’t sound like much but the distinction is huge! One mentality causes stress which manifests more fat, the other mentality cultivates health, relaxation, acceptance, joy and personal growth.
- When what you are doing is not working do something…do ANYTHING else. Small changes make a big difference when your body is biochemically out of balance.
- Do a light jog, if you can’t jog then walk and if you can’t walk then CRAWL! The days of excuses are over. I challenge you to do the 30 day challenge. Walk for 30 minutes every single day for the next 30 days. I don’t care about how many calories you are burning, I am interested in cultivating the habit of exercise every day. Once the 30 days period is up, you will be hooked.
- On days that you don’t feel like exercising, do one thing…put your walking shoes on and vow to walk for 5 minutes, that’s right, just 5 minutes. You must constantly feed your habit even if just a morsel! Well, the good ones at least.
- Destroy your kitchen! Go through and get rid of every unhealthy piece of food. That’s right, throw it away. Yes, it is a waste of money but so are all of the doctor’s bills you will be paying to treat all of those lifestyle-related diseases. Yes, there are starving children in Africa but you eating that Twinkie won’t fill their bellies. We need some MASSIVE action here, something that will shock your system into change.
- If it is winter, throw your summer clothes away. If it is summer, throw your winter clothes away. Burn your bridge! Determine to become healthy and lose the fat or go naked…how is that for a motivator? Again, this is a MASSIVE ACTION that can shock your system into change.